11.03.2007

Thank You Primers!

When I heard there was a camp, RIO camp. I thought to myself, what will this camp be about? Will it be fun? What will I learn from the camp? I decided to go for the camp and find it out myself. When I told my parents that I wanted to go for the camp, they disapprove of it at first as my brother will be coming back from Australia and we will be having dinner with him. After much persuasion, my parents finally allowed me to go for it. I was overjoyed and was on cloud nine. On the day when I had to hand up the money I was so happy that I could actually go for a camp that was organized by Primers as I was not able to go for the past few camps that were organized by them. When I saw the Primers blog on the entry that Huishan wrote about her experience of RIO camp, it made me really excited and I was looking forward to the camp. A few days before the camp, I was packing the camp bag as I was packing the bag I was thinking what does RIO means.

On the actual day of the camp, I was a little moody. But I told myself I am going to have fun at the camp and I am going to learn a lot of new things. When I finally reach Changi Village and said goodbye to my mother I could feel the excitement in me. I met many new friends, they were funny and sociable. As we were waiting for the boat we were telling each other lame jokes and when we finally reach Pulau Ubin I cannot help but to keep smiling. The committee members of Primers kept us ‘high’ and we did many reflection and session. It really made me learn about other people’s life and journey. I came to realize that in life everyone will meet obstacles and will know how to over come it. We all live in this kampong like house; I find it was good experiences for me as I have never live in those kinds of houses before. It was supper time, where everyone seat down together as a family to eat. One day has gone; everyone was preparing to go to sleep. The first day ended off good and I was looking forward to the next day.

Second day came, where we had to make our own breakfast and cook our own meals. I felt that it was something new in all the camps I went for. Seating down together as a family, eating together, laughing and joking made me felt a love coming from the group. When we had singsapiration I was really touched by all the songs and seeing everyone singing to the song and lifting their hearts up to God. Though it was raining, we still continued singing. Slowly the rain when away and became slight. The time had come for us to cook lunch; I was glad that I was able to contribute to the group by lending a helping hand. My group was a bunch of funny and interesting people, as we were cooking we were all laughing that we are cooking near the toilet. Each of us helps by contributing a bit to the cooking. I would say my group is a unique group, as we had 2 people who are vegetarian. Whenever my fellow group members made fun of them I would always see them smiling and playing along. After our cooking, we continue with our decoration of the flag and cheer, this point in time I could tell that everyone was cracking their brains and thinking of a nice and funny cheer. It was also like a bonding time together. When I hear and see each one of my group member giving suggestion I know that everyone is special and unique in their own ways.

The major highlight of the programme was photo hunt; I always love to run around doing obstacles and finding things. I feel like its very interesting and it was also a time where we can help each on of our team member during various obstacles and station. When we came to the station on the team building, where we had to tie our legs together and walk and coordinate as a group. I suddenly could feel the love and help from each member giving support to each other. We did not give up we tried over to make sure we did it. But, when something bad happen to me, I felt down and upset with myself. I started blaming myself that it was cause of me that they could not continue. When the injury got bad and I had to be sent to the hospital, in my mind I had images of the happy times I had with my group and Primers. Hearing the voice around me telling me to relax and encouraging me to be strong. I bear with the pain and hold on.

After various check up at the hospital, I was fully awoken up. The first thing that came across my mind is I would like to write this short story about Primers. Being in Primers made me realize and learn new things and how to overcome it. Whenever I am in Primers or with any of my group members I feel loved by each and every one of them. At the jetty that day when I was taking my bag, I could see from each of their faces each telling me to take care and be strong. Even though, I did not manage to go through the whole camp, but from the bottom of my heart I did enjoyed myself and learn a lot of things. I will be looking forward for other events. Thank you Primers. You make me loved.

I would like to thanks Huishan and Guo Jun and group members for helping through out the camp, and to all those who help me and carry me. I would like to also thank the others for your messages and your help care concern. Thank You!


I would like to thank the RIOcamp committee for helping me during the time of my accident.

I would also like to thank the Medic (Chi Foong & Meijun)

Lastly I would like to thank Yaohan and Kenny for your prayers.

With Gratitude
* Marie Khoo *
Cluster B 吃 斋 的

No comments:

Post a Comment