6.29.2009

Reflection: Night Cycling - Shi Jun's Group


This is the first time I ever tried night cycling and overall, it was a great experience! I was in a wonderful team with Shijun as my GL and Nicholas as my AGL. Initially there were a few members that I was not very familiar with, but during the night cycling, I got to know them much better. We also played ice breaker games before the night cycling started and also during breaks if possible. There were checkpoints where we played some games and also water points for us to hydrate ourselves and refill our water bottles.

Personally, as this was the first time I joined a night cycling event, I was not really expecting the journey to be so long. It was really quiet at night and sometimes it got really tedious to cycle on. The quiet and breezy atmosphere made me feel sleepy and many of us were starting to feel tired and our muscles ached as the night went on. I was about to fall asleep but luckily I had Shijun for company as we both cycled side by side throughout the entire journey. Shijun had brought a portable speaker and the music was what kept me awake.

We also had a lot of fun joking together while cycling. Also, we raced each other to get ourselves to move faster. We talked a lot to each other to keep ourselves occupied as keeping quiet and cycling alone can get quite boring. I loved the sound of the wind in my ears, the sound of the leaves rustling and also the sound of the crickets. The breeze was cooling and the night was very quiet and serene. As we were cycling on the “never ending road”, we heard a lot of airplanes fly by as we cycled past Changi airport. It was just a beautiful sight to see all the airplanes and the lights that lit up the airport.

I was eagerly looking forward to the finish line because I was so worn out. By the time we reached the finishing line I was silently cheering inside for I managed to complete the night cycling event and was able to keep awake throughout the entire journey. I felt very accomplished because I thought I would get really grumpy while cycling due to the lack of sleep. But instead, I had a lot of fun and I didn’t feel tired at all with the music constantly playing.

Overall, the night cycling was a tiring yet enjoyable experience. I felt that through this event, I got to bond more with my team members and most importantly, I believe that we displayed qualities of team work as we all provided some form of support to one another and cheered on each other when we were getting sleepy and very tired.

Reflection by Geraldine

No comments:

Post a Comment