12.01.2009

My First Food Pack!

Monday 23 Nov was the Opening of SGB 2009 in SP. Although I was not able to attend, I could feel the excitement through the facebook status updates and tweets of some of you Primers.

Not willing to be left out of the action, I shared with my students about SGB and how they can raise a food pack as a class. I wrote to my colleagues in TOUCH and my cell mates to rally their support. I went to NTUC to check out the prices, and in my excitement I bought my first food pack!

My Tweet: Bought my 1st food pack! Fingers breaking. Pray for an empty 147. $55 poorer, but million dollars happier! :)

Checking out the price means find the cheapest alternative available, the value of food pack amounts to about $40-45.

Although I had in mind to prove that you can get a food pack at $40, the outcome is vastly different.

I started to consider, what flavour of instant noodles would the family like? My personal favourite is CQYD sesame oil. I bought that and a Myojo Abalone flavoured one. Oil was priced lowest at $5.95, but Knife (branded oil ok!) had an offer. Lee Kum Kee Oyster sauce comes FREE with $7.90 Knife Brand. I think the family will be thrilled to have OYSTER sauce for their cooking! So I took that instead.

Between a pack of 15 sachets instant milo $6 vs 1.4kg tin Milo $12. A tin of milo would surely last a whole month? That is 15 servings vs 50 servings of milo drink! So milo tin it is…

I was pleasantly surprised to find myself thinking for the anonymous families. I know that we choose to give because the beneficiaries need the food items. But I learnt that I NEED TO give because I NEED the warmth in heart that comes when I give. I guess that keeps me a human. =)

In the end, it is no longer about fulfilling a food pack, but the PEOPLE behind the food pack that matters.
=cand=

No comments:

Post a Comment