5.20.2009

Colorful Life Reflections - Part I


POC…it was truly a fun and memorable camp. It truly did surprise me with really interesting twists here and there. Overall, I would say that for SEPIA, we really did forge some strong friendships and the bonds that we formed would be there forever even after we all part ways. SEPIA really did know teamwork and everyone was a true team player, showing excellent sportsmanship.

When we first arrived, some of us were pretty new to each other but in no time at all, we were all joking around and laughing as if we have known each other for quite awhile. Sometimes, all it takes is one person to start the ball rolling. It does not really matter who, just someone in the group to start talking about a common topic and everyone would join in as well.

Everyone was really enthusiastic, the camp was great and the people were really nice and helpful. There was no one that was left alone to be a lone adventurer or ranger. The camp really lived up to the phrase ‘Ohana’, family. For the first time in my life, even though I have myself been to plenty of camps, this is one camp that truly makes everyone feel loved and cherish, like a family.

Oh and of course the camp was really well planned out. It was organized and there were not much of chaotic situations. The seniors and officers were really creative in coming up with games and even spicing up some of the games to make them even more fun and interesting. Even the rain did not deter anybody’s spirits thanks to the creative games which the camp ICs came up with.

Everyone did appear to be quite disappointed when SEPIA was unable to go kayaking due to the gloomy rainy weather. However, the enthusiasm from the other activities and people around us cheered us all up. Though admittedly, it was truly tiring on the second day with the pile of activities lined up for us but we all persevered under the hot sun and never gave up playing the games.

Time did past pretty quickly for us as before we knew it, the dismissal time from camp arrived. However, the bonds and friendship remains. The excellent memories we had from camp would be carried in our hearts forever. GO SEPIA!

By: Esme, Sepia/Iris



I think the camp was fun and enjoyable. All the groups were able to bond with their group members, and also cheer for other groups. Personally, I feel that the GLs and AGLs did very well; they look after their group members, making sure that there was enough food for all. And the GLs came up with different games, even though the games can be rather lame sometimes, everybody still enjoyed playing it.

The activities planned for us were more than enough. When it started to rain on the second day, I thought we were going to do nothing and wait for the rain to stop. Surprisingly, back-up plans were made. We still continued with our activities, fully sheltered. Before the rain came pouring down, my group, Crimson, went for kayaking and abseiling. Kayaking wasn’t my first time trying but it was my first time playing games while kayaking. All of us were holding on to one another, forming a row of kayaks, and I have to move from one end of the kayaks to the other end in the middle of the sea. It was fun, but it can be very scary if the kayak is not balanced well.

Next was abseiling. It was my first time trying, and I was really terrified when I was about to go down. When I did it, I felt accomplished. I told myself I have to give it a try and I did give it a try, with the help of the instructor and my GL!
Therefore, to me, this camp is different from other camps which I went. All of us are just like family, my group members calling our GL and AGL “Daddy” and “Mummy”. Regardless if we are against one another, we still cheer for everyone. GLs and AGLs were able to communicate with their members well and vice versa. I didn’t regret going for the camp because I’ve make new friends from different schools! And I’m sure there are a lot of events waiting for us! (:

Lastly, CRIMSON rocks!

By: Maggie, Crimson/Arco


Primers’ Orientation Camp... what do I love about it, you ask? Well, what don’t I love? OK, so I wasn’t feeling so hot about the huge ass bugs all over the place, but bugs aside, this camp was one of the best camps I’ve ever been to. Kudos to my group leader, the awesome Rongyuan! She did a brilliant job of leading the group, Ruby (WOOTS!) solo. Poor Weiqiang. He’s the other leader who unfortunately, got real sick right before the camp, so he couldn’t go. Good news, though. He’s feeling much better now!

Camp activities were well thought-out. It can’t be easy to plan such a large scaled camp. There were few screw-ups, if there were any at all. Although it rained, camp activities went on with barely a glitch because a contingency plan had been prepared. Everyone was gathered together and the facilitators cleared a large space in the canteen for everyone (in record time, I might add). Games and activities were creative and catered to people with varying interests, with sporty stuff like Kayaking and Repelling, new games like Human Foosball, which I SO love, and good ol’ favourites like Captain’s Ball and Dog & Bone- with a twist! Can you believe they replaced the ball with fruits such as oranges and peeled bananas (like, imagine all the nasty squishy leftovers) and even vegetables??? AND they used a dude for Dog & Bone. Poor guy was sloshed with water all night long, I guess. Haha. To the water-logged dude: Thanks for being such a good sport about it! :D

The activities were not only targeted at us simply having fun. One example would be Repelling, where a number of us overcame our fears and did what can be described as going off the edge of a four-storey building. FOUR-FREAKING-FLOORS! That’s considered high for me, because I have a slight fear of heights. Paiseh. And in games such as Captain’s Ball and some fill-up-a-bucket-of-water game which name escapes me, we had to learn to work as a team. This, in part with the group leaders’ hard work, would explain why the groups are all so bonded.

Oh, and Ruby won “zi high” award. Woots! Yay for all teams for being so cooperative but most of all, thanks to all the facilitators and organisers for making this experience such an unforgettable one!

By: Anna, Ruby/Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment