11.10.2010

A Story to Share

I always have this mindset that Singapore is very well-developed, with all the tall buildings, and the numerous ongoing developments around Singapore. When I look at the people around me, the words “hungry" and “poor” have never come to my mind before. I have always thought that everyone in Singapore was financially stable and had everything we needed. I never thought that the word “poor” would apply to anybody in Singapore at all.

Last year I joined BBSGB, currently known as BBSG, because I had to complete my service section for my NYAA Gold Award. The only thing I knew about BBSGB was that the aim was to collect 500 food hampers. I didn’t even know who we were giving the food hampers to. I did BBSGB out of necessity and not out of a heart to serve the poor.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It was not until Collection, that I felt that I was willing to do anything just to raise the 500 food hampers, or even more. Every single item that I collected on that day, it raised my hope that collecting 500 food hampers was possible. The feeling of receiving even an incomplete food hamper, brought joy to my heart. I felt happy; I was touched by even the smallest donation from the households in Clementi. At least we brought hope to our beneficiaries. And I was so grateful for the many donations, even if the food hampers were not for me.

And there was Distribution. I had this opportunity of going to a less wealthy family, to deliver the food hampers to them. Their faces lighten up when I greeted them and smiles on their faces were priceless. It was truly a memorable experience. They were even willing to share their stories with us, and it made me realise how blessed I was and how contented I should be with all the things I have.

This year’s BBSG to me is no longer just about raising 750 food hampers for our beneficiaries. There are many other priceless things that you can take home; the feelings, the joy, the love, the gratefulness, the stories shared, the teamwork, the experiences and many more. You will never know, these food hampers that we deliver
may just change the beneficiaries’ lives.The experiences will live with us forever too.

Let's Have A Heart, Share A Gift!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Maggie Chua
Vice-President
SP.Primers Exco 10/11

No comments:

Post a Comment